Problems related to economic inequality that we’ve discussed in this course:
- Unequal opportunities
- Unequal access to education
- Skewed income and wealth distributions
- Disappearance of the American Dream?
- Disappearance of the middle class (some members are moving up, while many are moving down in socioeconomic status)
- Incentives: if wealth/income gaps are really large, will people just give up on trying to improve their lives?
According to Putnam’s Our Kids and other sources, there is a greater sense of class structure than there used to be. The greater the gaps between classes, the more likely people are to think of each other as different and unlike themselves. What can/should we do about these issues?